It is estimated that the number of children being raised in single parent households has doubled over the course of the last 50 years. Having been raised in a single parent home I know how much my mother struggled to make ends meet. Many mothers in Volusia County are currently going through the same thing, yet many are not sure where to find some additional help.
Here are a few resources that single parents can look into for a little extra help:
- Grassroots Giving. If you have a child that wants to take anything from karate lessons to ballet but you don’t have the extra to cover the costs they can help. Each month Grassroots Giving provides need based scholarships to kids around Volusia County.
- Scholarships. If you have a child who is ready to go to college you can may be able to qualify for some scholarships. You may be able to qualify for scholarships for you as well, if you would like to start a college program.
- Florida Kid Care. This program will provide kids up to age 18 with medical and dental insurance. All you need to do is apply and those who qualify will be issued the insurance they need to care for their children.
- Community Assistance. There are a variety of community assistance programs in Volusia County. From housing grants to camp scholarships, they offer programs to help those in need.
- Fresh Start Program. This program that is offered through Daytona State College will help you with your resume, establishing goals, and exploring career options. If you want to get into, or move in, the career world this is worth exploring.
You would be surprised at how many businesses will also work with you, considering you are a single mother. Many of the summer camps that are offered do provide some scholarships for kids to attend. It never hurts to inquire about the opportunities that exist, so you can help give your kids more even if you are raising them on your own!