Ever since my kids learned about this recipe they have been wanting to try making it. So last night we finally did it (although I had put the bananas in the freezer the day before in preparation). We made our own homemade banana ice cream... and it was so delicious and healthy!
Here's what you need:
- 6 frozen bananas in chunks
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (unless you are using vanilla flavored milk)
Here's what we did:
- The day before (or hours before) you want to freeze six ripe bananas. You, of course, want to remove them from the skins. To be ripe the bananas should have some brown spots on the skins. Cut them up into smaller pieces and freeze them.
- When you are ready to make your banana ice cream take the bananas, 1/2 cup of almond milk (or whatever kind of milk you use), and a teaspoon of vanilla (if your milk is vanilla flavored then you don't need the additional vanilla).
- Put some of the milk, bananas, and vanilla into the blender and start pulverizing it. As it starts to cream, add more milk, bananas, and vanilla to the blender. We have a Vitamix, so we can put it all in and it will be fine. But if you have a different kind of blender you may need to break this up into a couple of batches.
- Blend until it's nice and creamy, like a soft serve ice cream consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
It is so good! You will love this... and it's very healthy and so simple to make. Plus, it's cheap to make. You can pick up six bananas for a dollar something and you probably already have the milk on hand. It just takes minutes to make this. You could also add some frozen strawberries to make it strawberry banana ice cream, or add other types of frozen fruit. You could also top it off with a few chocolate sprinkles or some shaved dark chocolate. Delicious! It was a big hit with the kids and I'm sure they will be asking for it often...
Here's pictures from making our homemade banana ice cream last night: