Many moms in the Daytona Beach area contact me asking questions about starting a home based business. I started my home based business in June 2004, months before my daughter was born. Now, years later I'm still loving that I have my own business and work from home. I'm passionate about what I do, as well as in believing in entrepreneurship. I believe every mom can start their own business and be successful if they believe in themselves, understand marketing, and can identify a path where they can use their skills and interest that has a good income potential.
If you are a mom in the Daytona Beach area who is interested in starting your own home based business, here is a basic summary of the steps you may want to take:
1. Determine which type of business will work for you. Evaluate your skills, education, and interests to narrow down some home based business options. Be mindful of the many work at home scams that are available an try to avoid them, and remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you want to grow your earnings to a livable salary you really need to create your own business, offering your skills and services.
2. Once you have narrowed down your list and have a few options you are interested in, then begin researching those few ideas. Do some online research, as well as check with the library and Amazon.com to see if there are some industry specific books that will give you an in-depth look at having a home based business in that area.
3. Do your homework so you can learn all you can about starting a home based business and especially in your specific area. Also, take the time to learn about marketing. Not knowing how to go about marketing your business is one is one of the biggest mistakes that people make and it can be the difference in whether or not your business is successful.
4. Keep it legal. Make sure you register your business name with the state.You can either start off with a sole proprietorship, or you can use a fictitious firm name. At least a fictitious firm name will need to be followed if you are using anything but your legal name to conduct business.
5. Have a plan. You don't have to create an elaborate business plan, but write up something with your goals and the basics of your business. Write out what the business will offer, what you need to get started, a to-do list, money needed to invest in starting, and goals for the first year. Realize that it often takes at least some money to make money. You may need a computer, to invest in baking supplies, a website, etc. While you can keep expenses down, you will probably need a little bit of money to get started. However, don't let that deter you. Your expenses to get started may be as little as $100. It all just depends on the type of business you are starting.
6. Use the laws of attraction. If you haven't read the book "The Secret," I highly suggest you do. Using the laws of attraction, and maintaining a positive attitude is essential. Stay focused on the positives and what you want, rather than what you may be lacking.
7. Have patients and stay the course. Many businesses do not make much money for the first year. During that time it is important to be patient and refer back to number six.
Having a successful home based business in the Daytona Beach area is absolutely possible. But you will have to put in the effort, be honest about what you can offer, and work hard. If you do that, the there is a good chance you will succeed.
ADDITIONAL WORK AT HOME ARTICLES: