Benefits of Chiropractic care for new moms/infants
A recent study by Viola Frymann demonstrated that 90% of newborns suffered the effects of birth trauma. A study by Gutmann examining more than 1,000 infants concluded that approximately 80% had some form of nerve dysfunction. This is of utmost importance, since 65% of neurological development (brain and nerve system) occurs in a child’s first year. During this crucial time, it is vital that the nerve system be healthy so the child can grow and develop to her potential.
What can cause birth trauma?
- Very short labor
- Very long labor
- Failure of the cervix to dilate
- Use of Pitocin to strengthen/induce uterine contractions
- Use of forceps or vacuum extraction
- Cord around baby’s neck
- Cesarean delivery (due to lack of progress)
- Pulling or twisting on the head to deliver the infant’s body
What can nerve dysfunction from birth trauma look like?
- trouble breathing
- reflux/frequent spitting up
- difficulty nursing (impaired sucking/swallowing or head positioning)
- balance issues
- sleeping difficulty
- delayed developmental milestones
Chiropractic care can be effective in easing the transition into the post-partem world for both mom and baby. Ensuring they are both receiving adequate, quality sleep, are forming a healthy breastfeeding relationship, and are as relaxed and stress-free as possible are just some of the reasons to have both mom and baby’s nervous systems evaluated and treated.