News outlets keep reporting that there is a skilled labor shortage in manufacturing in the country. Even here in the Daytona Beach area manufacturing companies feel the pains from not having enough people who are entering their field. We are reaching a critical time in this shortage of skilled labor. If you have a teen that is looking for a job or will be soon, consider introducing them to the idea of working in manufacturing. In Volusia and Flagler County there are over 450 manufacturing firms, providing a great diversity of areas that are offering employment and good careers.
Here are some things to consider regarding local manufacturing careers:
Manufacturing in Volusia/Flagler Counties
4.5% of the jobs in Volusia County are in manufacturing (~11,800)
- 464 manufacturers
Products include: Boats, parts for braces and hearing aides, syringes, wheel covers, sunglasses, electrical connectors, under water fiber optic connectors, paint, trophies, t-shirts, parachutes, automotive parts, motorcycle parts, furniture, electricity, sun tan products, mattresses, stainless steel filters, chocolate, key lime pies and so much more.
- 2017 Overall average is $37,721; Manufacturing average wage is $43,130-49,484
- 54% have less than 15 employees, 22% 15-50; 7% have 51- 100 and 22% over 100
- Most manufacturers offer a full benefits package with medical insurance and retirement
- Jobs include: Engineers, accountants, human resource managers, mechatronics, IT, marketing, safety, admin, logistics, purchasing, CAD CNC operators, computer programmers, welders, machine tool operators, assemblers
- Entrance level workers need skills in machining, reading, mathematics, fabrication (making things), grinding, computer science, blueprint reading, listening and work ethics (defined as showing up everyday, on time with a good attitude—willing to work and learn) 4C’s Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Creativity, Communication
- Manufacturing entrance level wages with no skills $9.00-$14.35.
Want to learn more about the manufacturing jobs and career opportunities? Check out the Volusia Manufacturing Association website.